One thing I think I have skirted around since my surgery in June is the reality of my situation. That reality being I am currently at a 30% risk for ovarian cancer. It’s easy for me to ignore in day to day and to downplay the very serious nature of that risk.
Then I go to a doctors appointment and the discussion of what my plan is happens again. I get the stern face when I tell them I have a plan, but that plan still involves IVF. For right now, I know all of my doctors are okay with my every 6 months CA125 bloodwork and MRI. I also know at some point that will no longer deter them. I know that if I were done having children (which counting from when I started trying I should be!) I would have had surgery for a radical hysterectomy months ago.
But I’m simply not ready to give up. I want to experience pregnancy, I want to have the family I envision.
The other sad part in this equation is the fact that there is only one thing standing between me and my next round of IVF, my lack of insurance coverage. Right now $2500 worth of medication is what stands between me and doing another round of IVF.
So at the end of the day, the fact that my insurance company does not cover my current disease gets a large portion of the blame. If they covered IVF, we would have been through all of this YEARS ago and been done by now most likely. But instead I have to wait years between each try, extending the risk further and costing them more in screening me for cancer. Makes a lot of sense, eh?